Great blog posts, tutorials, and other sites to help you out.
A collection of helpful material about RubyGems. Feel free to fork and add your own!
- Making Ruby Gems
- Gemcutter & Jeweler
- MicroGems: five minute RubyGems - Gems so small that you can store them in a gist.
- Let’s Write a Gem: Part 1 and Part 2
- Polishing Rubies
- A Practical Guide to Using Signed Ruby Gems - Part 1: Bundler
- Basic RubyGem Development and Intermediate RubyGem Development
- How to make a Rubygem and How to make a Rubygem: Part Two
- Crafting Gems - A tutorial from RailsConf 2013.
- How to cryptographically sign your RubyGem - Step-by-step guide
- Semantic Versioning
- Ruby Packaging Standard
require 'rubygems'Is Wrong
- How to Name Gems
- Make the world a better place; put a license in your gemspec
Tools to help build gems.
- gemerator - Minimalist tool for generating skeleton gems.
- hoe - Rake/RubyGems helper.
- Jeweler - Opinionated tool for managing RubyGems projects.
- micro-cutter - Tool to build the base files for a MicroGem.
- newgem - New gem generator.
- RStack - Generator intended for use on private gems.
- rubygems-tasks - Rake tasks for building, installing, and releasing Ruby Gems.
- ore - Project generator with a variety of templates.
- Omnibus - Generate full-stack installers for ruby code (see this Omnibus tutorial for instructions on using it to package a standalone RubyGem.)
Tools to watch gems for changes.
- Depfu - Depfu continuously updates your dependencies one gem at a time and creates a pull request with all the info you need. Free for open source.
- Gemnasium - Parses your GitHub projects to learn what to notify you about. Free for public repos only.
- Gemnasium gem - Allows you to use Gemnasium without granting it access to private repos.
- Libraries.io - Get alerts for new versions of the gems you depend upon.
Hosting and Serving
- Geminabox - Host your own gems, with a rubygems-compatible API.
- Gem Mirror - Run an internal mirror of external gem sources.
- Gemfury - Private cloud-based RubyGems servers. Priced by number of collaborators.